Saturday, January 2, 2010

Get Dirty!

When my husband and I started talking about health and children, I'd always tell him that I planned on giving our children dirt as soon as they were born. I'm sure that if anyone heard me say that, they'd call me crazy. However, my "crazy" plans do have some merit.

A study was conducted at the University of California San Diego found that children who are too clean are actually more susceptible to developing inflammation and disease - namely asthma and autoimmune disorders.  They also tend to be the ones who have a higher rate of allergies.  Using cleansers, soaps, and hand sanitizers excessively can actually increase those chances because they kill off important bacteria on our bodies. 

Moral of the story: Don't be afraid to let kids dirty! When the hubby and I start having kids, I'm sticking to my plan! (Maybe not exactly, but in some capacity)


Image courtesy of Christendomreview

No comments:

Post a Comment