Monday, February 15, 2010

Boost Immunity With....Sugar?

Whenever I got a cold or a sore throat as a child, I'd always refuse to take any liquid meds (such as NyQuil) and opted for relief through cough drops. As I think back, I remember downing those drops as if they were candy.

As I was browsing the aisles of Walmart this weekend, I stumbled upon some Halls Defense Vitamin C drops. On the bag it read, "Helps Support Your Immune System. 100% Vitamin C In Every Bag." Curious, I turned over the bag to check out the ingredients, and to my surprise (or maybe not), the first ingredient: Sugar. The second: Glucose syrup. No wonder why I could get through a fourth of a bag of drops in one sitting! I was literally eating candy.

What's sad is that ascorbic acid (vitamin c) doesn't appear until ingredient 5 or 6 out of 9! The "Vitamin C" is sandwiched between sugar and artificial colors & flavors. Some immunity booster!

Remember what I always stress, people. Read those labels!

No comments:

Post a Comment